Friday, April 07, 2006

My baby

Two months ago we started battling a URI with Olive. She hasn't gotten any better, in fact her breathing is worse. And this morning it was scary. Off to an emergency vet appointment where I expected to be told she still had it, or something like it. What I didn't expect was that my baby would have a tumor in her abdomen. If you remember, last May she had a tumor removed. It was thought to be fatty, but not anymore. The one in her abdomen now is the size of a golf ball, which equals a grapefruit size in a human. Treament? Questionable, extreamly invasive and terrorizing to a very sweet cat. And expensive. Very expensive.



Right now I'm not sure of her quality of life. She sleeps in spurts, waking when her breathing is bothering her. The plan right now is to make her comfortable until the time when we are sure that she is suffering. I'm not going to subject her to all kinds of testing, surgeries and forcing medication down her throat. That is no way to live. And then it will be time to make a decision that I can't bear to think about. She is my baby and the sweetest, most loving animal I have ever been owned by. The teenagers, especially my sensitive Star, are going to be crushed. But if we love her, we will have to let her go.

And I really can't take it.

Posted by Heather at 12:30 PM

18 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:22 PM  
    I'm so sorry to hear about your furbaby. It's a hard decision to make - - my heart goes out to you and your family. Perhaps your baby will take the choice out of your hands and go in her own time and fashion. << >>
  2. Blogger Jennifer posted at 1:32 PM  
    I'm sorry about sweet Olive. These kinds of decisions just tear the heart out of the chest. *hugs* to all of you and to little Olive.
  3. Blogger Mel posted at 1:39 PM  
    Oh Heather, I am so sorry to hear this. Bless you for taking such good care of her and taking her best interest to heart. I will keep you all in my prayers.
  4. Blogger Stacy posted at 2:40 PM  
    I'm so sorry to hear this about your kitty. :( Our pets become such huge parts of our lives, and it hurts so much when we have to let them go. :(
  5. Blogger Pam posted at 3:13 PM  
    Oh Heather, I'm so sorry about this. You and Olive and the rest are all in my thoughts.
  6. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 3:32 PM  
    Oh sweetie I am so sorry! I'm here if you just need to talk. You know I just went through that with my dear Bunny. Sending you lots of hugs and good thoughts.
  7. Blogger Creative Genius? posted at 4:07 PM  
    Oh I am so sorry.... you are doing all the right things, even if it's sad to do them... I'm here if you need me!
  8. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 4:32 PM  
    Such a hard decision, but one that has Olive's best interests in mind. Peace to you, Olive, and the rest of the family, furry and otherwise. :)
  9. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:08 PM  
    Oh no! This is too much. This spring has been heartbreaking for our pets. What a lucky little cat to have such a loving family! You'll know when it's time. It will probably come as a compromise between when she's ready and when you are. You're in my thoughts and prayers!
  10. Blogger kt posted at 10:52 PM  
    Heather, please know that you are so loved and appreciated by your beautiful cat. I know there isn't really anything to say to make things easier, but I'm sending love and all best wishes to you and Olive and your entire family.
  11. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:09 AM  
    I'm sorry to hear that your baby is sick. It will be hard, but you'll do the right thing, and know in your heart that she loves you for it.
  12. Blogger Cece posted at 7:50 AM  
    Oh - give her lots of pats and treats. You are in my thoughts.
  13. Blogger Tempe Yarn posted at 9:01 AM  
    oh Heather, I'm so sorry... I hope everything turns out for the best.
  14. Blogger Jody posted at 8:38 PM  
    really sorry to hear about Olive. She knows that you love her, and if she doesn't take matters into her own "paws," I know you will do what is in HER best interest, even though it's hard to let go.
  15. Blogger African Kelli posted at 1:12 PM  
    Heather, is it any better? How are you feeling? I am sorry you are going through this!
  16. Blogger Jade posted at 1:19 PM  
    I am so sorry to hear that. I hope things will turn out well for Olive. What will be will be.
  17. Blogger tocspaw posted at 3:09 PM  
    Heather, it seems a heartbreaking fact of life that often the most loving decisions are the most difficult. It's so hard to lose our furbabies! My thoughts are with you...
  18. Blogger Crazy For Yarn In Alabama posted at 7:58 AM  
    My heart breaks for you and all that you are having to go through!!I know it is one of the hardest things to have to watch your "furbaby" go through! I don't doubt for a minute that animals know love from their owners and they realize the care you are giving them! If she isn't able to leave on her own she will let you know when it is O.K. for you to let her go!!

Post a Comment

« Home