Saturday, December 29, 2007

Knitting keeps me sane

Hard to believe that 2007 is coming to a close. Where did the year go? Doesn't it seem like we just did this last week?

When I sit down and try to write a blog post or email a friend, I think about how crazy things have been in the Casa, yet I have trouble coming up with lists of all that is going on. And when I do, I read it and say, "How can I be so busy, yet this is all I'm doing?". Work was really busy the last 2 months. I moved into a lovely new office that I had painted a pretty sage green. In the middle of that, I started my end-of-the-year audit. Toss getting ready for Christmas into the mix, and well, now I can see how I get so busy.

Things with the Princess are settling down. She isn't as sick as she was in the beginning and no where near as emotionally fragile. Hell, either am I. I'm no longer crying myself to sleep or throwing up from stress. My family has finally come to their senses about the baby and are trying harder to not be such twits about it all.

On December 24th (Which is also our wedding anniversary. Funny, 2 Pagans getting married on Christmas Eve. Long story.), we got an early Christmas present. Seems as though I'll be a Nana (which I picked for the baby to call me) to a baby girl. I'm finally starting to get excited, which has been a huge issue for me. I still have moments of despair, but it is getting better.

Through all the stress, I've been knitting like a fiend. The day we found out it was a girl, I went nuts with buying girly colored yarn and fabric. Brian just laughs, but is relieved I've found a way to channel all this emotion. The pictures aren't the greatest. We just bought a new camera and are still learning how to use it.

First up was my usual baby blanket - The Feather and Fan Baby Blanket. I've knit this pattern a few times and I never get tired of it. Knit, as always, in Encore. I followed the same pattern setup as I have every time I knit it.


Fan and Feather Blanket


I had originaly started this sweater for my nephew, but never got it done (bad Auntie Heather!). So, I finished it and knit a pair of Saartje's Booties (which are the cutest booties EVER) to go with it.


Butterfly baby sweater

Saartje's booties


Butterfly buttons make it a little more feminine, I think. Too funny that I knit it from Butterfly 10 yarn. I didn't even think about that when I bought the buttons. I crack myself up.

The first pink project was something I swore I'd never make again. The Bunny Blanket Buddy from Lion Brand and is knit in VelvetSpun. It's hard on the hands to knit, the horribly written pattern has mistakes and it's impossible to weave in the ends. But it is so cute and soooo soft. So, I knit it with a smile on my face thinking of the baby snuggling it.


Bunny Blanket Buddy


Of course, I had to knit a 5 Hour Baby Sweater Set. I really love this pattern, although I don't know who came up with the 5 hour estimate, takes me much longer. Maybe it is all the interruptions I get? I love the yarn. It's Patons Decor in the Florals Varigated. The clear buttons don't show well in the picture, but I wanted the yarn to be the star. It's so little!


5 Hour Baby Sweater Set

Closeup of 5 hour baby sweater


Still on the hook is a crocheted afghan made out of Encore. I've made several of these over the years. I can crochet it without looking, so it stays in the car. I've worked on it at every one of Stephanie's doctor appointments and while Brian drives and am exactly halfway done.


Shell baby blanket


I'm also swatching for Anouk from Knitty, but I can't get gauge! It's supposed to be 18 stitches to 4 inches on a size 6, but I'm up to an 8 and still can't get it. And the 8's are giving me a fabric that I think is too loose. I might just knit the smallest size and use a needle where I like the fabric. It will be bigger, but that's ok. I've been waiting forever for someone to have a girl so I could knit this. Anyone else have a better idea?

When the Princess was a little girl herself, I sewed all kinds of sundresses for her. She wants me to do the same for her little one, so I bought a few patterns and the most adorable material.

So, I guess that's why I've been so busy. Things are getting better and I'm hoping to not be such a hermit in the new year. Off to knit!

**P.S. When I originaly posted about the Princess being pregnant, I got some nasty emails from complete strangers who I've never heard from/of before. Really, if you googled your way here and want to be nasty, save it. Anything you have to say I've said to myself 100+ times. I don't need to feel like anymore of a failure as a mother than I already do.

Posted by Heather at 11:30 AM

7 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:45 PM  
    Dang, you have been busy!

    Looks good.
  2. Blogger RC posted at 10:23 PM  
    You have been busy. The littlest princess is going to be one best dressed baby! What is wrong with people? Didn't their mothers ever teach them if they can't something nice, don't say anything at all? I'm sorry so many people felt it necessary to give you grief over this situation. =(
  3. Blogger Creative Genius? posted at 10:27 PM  
    Just tell the people giving you grief to stick it where the sun don't shine!!!

    I am glad you have been able to channel your emotions and get busy knitting!! A little girl is a wonderful holiday present and I know the littlest princess is going to be wonderful!!!

    Grandchildren (even those that arrive a few years early) are wonderful!!!

    PS - I know I think I am young ...but I am sure I'm not in the princesses eyes... but I just had Avi a year ago - so if she needs to talk to a "new" mom - have her give me a shout!
  4. Blogger Michellefinaz posted at 12:33 PM  
    You are going to be an amazing Nana, The princess is very lucky to have you as her mom. Stressful as it has been for everyone, you have done awesome. Love all of the projects, so cute. I can't do one damn girly thing in my house.

    Oh, you should totally do the Amy Butler Swing bag as a diaper bag for her, it is such a great pattern and perfect for just the diapers, wipes and a few other necessities.
  5. Blogger Mel posted at 8:33 AM  
    So busy you can't remember why? I can relate. You have an adorable wardrobe started. Knitting is a great coping tool!

    As to those nasty comments - remember, negativity sucks... Don't let it get you down. You're a great Mom.
  6. Blogger Pam posted at 2:06 PM  
    People can be jerks, but you (and we) know the truth - you're a great mom. Mistakes happen and it's the grace and maturity that they are handled with that tell your true character. And you guys are passing with flying colors.

    And I'm glad to see you knitting again.
  7. Blogger tocspaw posted at 6:03 PM  
    Wow! I wish our adoption was going to happen sooner so I'd be motivated to do as much knitting as you! (Although you'd think with the couple of years I've got left, if I started now I could knit enough sweaters for our daughter to wear until she turns 18). Glad to hear that you are settling in to things and feeling better. Don't listen to all of those negative ninnies - it's unreal how total strangers could think they know what's right for your family! Anyways, before I get on a soapbox, just want to say enjoy knitting all of the girly stuff and glad to hear you are doing well!!

Post a Comment

« Home