Saturday, June 24, 2006

It's love

I love my knitting. Yes, I've said it before. But this is a whole new kind of love - it has beads. After a false start, I was up until 2am knitting my Beaded Shawlette. Isn't it amazing how lace looks like this all bunched up.



And with a little stretching can look like this.


Just so you know, I braved the inferno outside to get good shots for you. See how much I love my readers?


Isn't it beautiful? I love the colors of the Koigu (which I won from a contest over at Cat Knits) and the beads are the perfect color and size. They are subtle and add enough "bling" without upstaging the Koigu.

I was worried about the bead row being totally fiddly, since you use a crochet hook to put the bead on the stitch then knit it. But it isn't bad once you get the hang of it. It would help if I held my yarn in my left, so I might have to beg Sarah to show me again. The tough part is some of the holes in the beads aren't big enough. I'll probably wind up getting a smaller hook so I can use all the beads. Knitting this shawlette is so much fun, I can totally see it being my newest addiction. Because, well, we all know I have enough felted purses (except black, I totally need a black felted purse with silver beads. An illness, I tell ya.) and I need something to be hooked on.

I ordered the pattern from The Mannings. And while I'm thrilled it made it here in 2 days, I'm not thrilled I was charged $3.00 shipping on a $6.00 pattern when it cost $.87 to ship.

And in case you were wondering how the Star is faring being home all summer, he got a job. I though hell would have frozen over, but it is still over 105 degrees outside, so I guess not. He loves it, though. A miracle for sure.

Posted by Heather at 1:11 PM

8 Comments

  1. Blogger Jennifer posted at 3:18 PM  
    I love bead knitting! Very lovely.
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 4:30 PM  
    Wow, that's going to be gorgeous! I love the colors! Great job!
  3. Blogger Sarah posted at 4:30 PM  
    Um...don't buy hooks. I have two of yours and can return them on Tuesday at SnB! ;)

    Looks great.

    I have also heard of people using fishing line to thread the yarn through the beads.
  4. Blogger Mel posted at 12:08 PM  
    Beautiful! I'm in love with your knitting too! I hope you will bring it on Tuesday so we can see it in person!
  5. Blogger Jody posted at 3:58 PM  
    Love the beading. Just another "have to try" in my future. Where in Florida are you going to? Anywhere near Delray Beach (Palm Beach County)?
  6. Blogger Cece posted at 6:57 AM  
    Oh my god - I loved knitting that shawl so much - I took days off at work to work on it.

    Have fun!
  7. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:33 AM  
    What beautiful bead knitting!
  8. Blogger Nerdy Knitter posted at 5:42 PM  
    That's beautiful! And it's for 2 skeins of Koigu? *I* have 2 skeins of Koigu, and have been struggling with deciding what to make...this might be The Pattern!

Post a Comment

« Home