Friday, June 30, 2006

For shame

Last night the hubby and I had a wonderful little date night. We went to Shabu Fondue here in Chandler to try something new. We got the cheese fondue and shared a shrimp, steak and veggie plate. Sharing the main course was perfect so we could have room for the best part of the meal - chocolate fondue. Very yummy dinner and the restaurant was very cool, very clean (I'm SUCH a freak about that) with excellent service. A little pricey, but we'd go again.

After dinner, I somehow convinced Brian (must have been the food coma) to take me over to CraftMart. CraftMart is a locally owned craft store that has been around forever. Last year they closed 2 of their stores, leaving only the Chandler store open. I was there last week to buy beads and one of the employees told me that they were closing. The store would be closed for 3 days, reopening on Wednesday for a huge sale until everything was gone. Wednesday morning I drove over there to check things out. The line was down to the other end of the strip mall! Forget that. So, we headed over there last night. I was hoping to score some expensive beads, a scrapbook, charity knitting yarn, felting yarn and cotton yarn for Sarah and I - all at good prices.

Brian was convinced that the store would be cleaned out with a huge crowd. Not so. In fact, I was surprised at how much was still left and how few people were in the store. Until we started walking around. Now, I've shopped there so many times that I pretty much know their prices. And something was up. That something was the prices. A hard glance at the shelf tags and you could see where they taped the new, higher prices carefully over the old. Yarn that was $5.99 a skein on Saturday was now $6.29 - with 20% off. A completed cross stitch sample that was $125.00 was now $225.00. Decorative shelves were priced higher. Beads, candle holders. Not everything, but enough. I was disgusted. Here I was so sad that this store was closing and this is what I find? And the cashier who I asked about it confirmed that they did raise the prices during the 3 day closing. Nice.

Needless to say, the yarn I bought hadn't had it's price changed nor the tiny stitch holders. I had plans to buy more, but was so disgusted with them that I left.

Isn't that illegal? Or just slimy?

Posted by Heather at 9:51 AM

9 Comments

  1. Blogger Sarah posted at 11:10 AM  
    Slimy....hence all the stuff still on the shelf!
  2. Blogger Mel posted at 12:53 PM  
    So slimy! I don't think it's illegal but it's enough to keep me away. OMG.
  3. Blogger Jennifer posted at 1:53 PM  
    That's so slimy, but craft stores do this all the time. I went to my local Michael's and found a book I wanted on a Clearance rack. The book was marked clearance so I brought it up to the counter to see how much it was. It rang up FULL PRICE! The manager marked it clearance to get people to buy it. She was hoping no one would notice it wasn't discounted. Sheesh.
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:34 PM  
    That is so slimy! Hence, probably why they're going out of business. =)
  5. Blogger Creative Genius? posted at 7:18 AM  
    Oh that's bad!!! Really bad!!! I dont like bad business like that, legal or not!
  6. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:46 PM  
    Seems like instant Karma to me - they ARE going out of business aren't they?
  7. Blogger bethanie posted at 3:01 AM  
    Whad a good hubby for going craft shopping with you!
  8. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 8:45 PM  
    Chocolate fondue...mmmmmmmmm!

    What creeps to hike up the prices like that. I bet they were hoping to go out with a bang, but instead they're probably going to end up going out with unwanted hiked up priced merchandise on their hands.
  9. Blogger tocspaw posted at 3:42 PM  
    I hate when stores do that. I almost bought a book once from a store that put a price sticker (which was higher than retail) over the retail price printed right onto the book. After a few words with the manager, she agreed to sell it to me for what the publisher intended, but still!!

Post a Comment

« Home