Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Merry Christmas/Festivus/Kwanzaa/Yule/Hanukkah

What is it about this time of the year that just gets me in a snit? Could it be the selling of Christmas crap in SEPTEMBER at the local Walgreen’s? The traffic at the mall right near the exit I need to take to get home that is so freaking bad that I need to get off the Loop 2 exits early so I can make it home the 2 weeks before Christmas? Usually, my snittage starts in mid-October and lasts until December 26th. This year, it came early. Brian is usually on the lookout for the first store to haul out the Christmas Crap before Halloween is even over. You know, so he can warn me and avert potential embarassment when I go back to whatever store with him. Walgreen’s won this year, hands down. I think even Brian was shocked, and that is saying a lot. To add insult to injury, they started playing Christmas music the day after Halloween!! The local radio station that in years past played “holiday music” 24/7 from the day after Thanksgiving until noon on Christmas (why noon? Are we getting ready for Valentine’s Day already?!?) has already started this year. Yea, jam it down my throat some more. Gotta get in that holiday buying spirit!

What happened to thoroughly enjoying the holidays before we moved on to the next? I could see the reasoning behind selling that 14-foot, glow-in-the-dark, Santa complete with sparkly neon presents after November 1st. ‘Cause we all know Joe Schmo down the street needs to be the first on the block with the inflatable Santa (right after he takes down the inflatable turkey, of course. Ha! Think I’m kidding? My neighbor has had theirs up since Halloween.).

We live in such a hurried world anymore and this just makes it worse. Pretty soon we will be hauling out the Crap as soon as we put the fireworks away from Independence Day.

And what about those of us in the country that don’t celebrate Christmas? In my home we celebrate both Christmas and Yule, or the Winter Solstice. Where is my music at Wal-Mart? What about my friends that celebrate Hanukkah? I sure don’t see their decorations at Target and don’t tell me that Adam Sandler’s Hanukkah song counts when it is played once an hour on the local radio station (even though it is pretty funny). Not too sure what the Festivus celebrators would like to hear, but why exclude them? Why not have some Kwanzaa decorations to choose from?

I really don’t understand how we supposedly live in such a melting pot here in the US, but everything revolves around Christmas at this time of the year. I guess embracing diversity only counts if you are hugging Santa.

Yea, Santa. Don’t even get me started on what Christmas is supposed to be about, because we all know that has been forgotten by most. That’s a whole ‘nuther rant and I don’t have time. I’ve got to get to the mall, you know.

Posted by Heather at 12:02 PM

6 Comments

  1. Blogger Creative Genius? posted at 3:06 PM  
    You think we just get screwed by not seeing any decorations hung at local stores... but there is also a lack of Chanukah T-shirts, decorations to buy, and special "chanakah" food (attention store owners - Matzah Ball Soup is NOT a chanukah food!!!)

    Don't get me started on the music - when was the last time the Back Street Boys or Garth Brooks recorded "I had a Little Driedle"????

    However - the place we really get screwed is at home!! While our friends are getting computers for Christmas and fun toys... we are getting 8 nights of socks, underware and cute pens... because what parent wants to buy EIGHT nights of expensive gifts?
  2. Blogger Ginger posted at 12:50 AM  
    Ya know I'm really surprised more chirstians aren't really hacked off by the hyjacking of their holiday. I guess most of them are too busy shopping and putting up glow-in-the-dark nativity scenes in their front yards (right next so santa) to notice.

    Oh, and why is christmas such a big holiday for them anyway . . . shouldn't it really be easter that would be the big holiday they should be celebrating?!?

    Friday is Buy Nothing Day and we have vowed to do no shopping on Black Friday.

    sorry if this is incoherent . . . the cold meds are kicking in . . .
  3. Blogger Jody posted at 10:23 AM  
    THANK YOU!! I was just venting to my brother that I HATE it when I turn on Delilah, a request your love song radio show, and hear mostly Xmas music for the past few weeks! And, though I am Jewish, I LOVE Xmas, but HATE that it is the biggest holiday in our country, which as you say, is supposed to be a MELTING POT of people. Did we all melt into Christians? Nothing again Christians, but there are many other religions/cultures in our country! Where is the share? And who can compete with Xmas EVERYTHING everywhere you turn?
  4. Blogger YarnB posted at 10:59 AM  
    I just joined Stitch N Bitch and read your blog!! FANTASTIC!! I just want to hide in the house for the rest of this month. It is the worst time of year for a Jewish and single person!
    Also, I love the charity work you do! I hope to meet you sometime!
  5. Blogger African Kelli posted at 3:27 PM  
    Um, I am so for Christmas. I know it is commercial and I know it has taken over in many regards, but I love it. And to play the devil's advocate for a moment, as a democracy, you have the ability to participate in what you want (glow in the dark nativities included) or not. I think one of the beauties of this melting pot is that we are diverse in our religions and able to pick what we want. In the same regard, we support what we want with the good ole' American dollar. If you want a Macabee sitting in the mall for kids to tell their secret Chanukah wishes, then someone should do it, rather than just bitching about the Santa.
    Money = influence. And if that isn't the Christmas message, oh wait... I think I'm off track.
  6. Blogger Dreamy posted at 2:25 AM  
    I'm usually one of the ones out there committing the crimes of holiday spirit... but this year has just been insane. Crap was out here before Halloween, and then you have all my freaking neighbors with their lights and crap up the day before Thanksgiving... it's like overnight I live in Christmastown and it's soooo depressing.

Post a Comment

« Home