Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Baby knitting factory

And the baby knitting continues. What is it about baby knits that is so much fun? First up is a hat and baby sock set knit out of self-striping yarn that I can't remember to save my life.

Baby Set


Isn't it adorable? The hat pattern is a recipie from Knitting Rules by the beloved Yarn Harlot. Knit a gauge swatch, do some math, you have a hat. Very simple and I love the way it turned out. The socks are from a free pattern on I'm Knitting as Fast as I Can. Very easy to follow, but really hard to knit such wee things on my needles.

I also finished a pair of socks that have been lingering on the needles for a long, long time.

Socks


Yarn? Who knows. Some kind of bamboo and cotton, I think. Very soft, but very splitty and the blue ran when I hand washed the damn things. They were more cream before I washed them. Oh well. The pattern is Wendy's Generic Toe-Up Feather and Fan Sock from Wendy Knits. I love her sock construction and this pattern was very easy. I prefer toe-up socks so I'm not worried about running out of yarn and so that I can use every inch of yarn, especially when it comes to hand painted yarns (this wasn't but still).

And who doesn't want to knit Alison's adorable Baby Bell Bottoms? The yarn is Shine Sport from KnitPicks and I love it. Soooo soft, non-splitty and cheap! Can't get better than that. Like Brian's feet in the picture? All the others were blurry, so you get to see his feet. And yes, for those of you in the frozen North, he's wearing flip flops. Only 65 here right now. ::snicker::

Baby pants and big feet


I needed to clean out the yarn stash a bit to find all my Sugar N' Cream to make knitted baby bibs (thanks again, Sarah, for helping me find the pattern). They are addictive and I've already knit 3 of them. I've been tired of digging through huge bins of yarn to find everything, so I used my stash of zipped plastic bags (from sheet sets and such) to sort the yarn - sock yarn, wool yarn, shawl yarn. Holy crap. I swear, it's breeding in there. There are so many new, gorgeous hand painted yarns in the online shops these days and I've been drooling over them all. I made a deal with Brian that for every 2 pairs of socks I knit, I can buy yarn for another pair (really, he doesn't care, but I have enough now for 17 PAIRS.). I knit one sock over a weekend, so if I stick to it I can have some new, pretty yarn soon!

Must.knit.faster.

Posted by Heather at 4:45 PM

2 Comments

  1. Blogger Michellefinaz posted at 8:38 PM  
    I am just in love with every thing you have made. That hat and sock set is adorable. Oh yeah, baby socks are hard to do, I have only made one pair, but it is easier to make me a pair than a newborn.

    Can't wait to see what your Baby Bells look like, I think I have some of that same yarn in my stash.

    I'll have to try that toe up pattern next, I've been working almost only with handpainted and I would hate to run out. Next up are some Aquaphobia socks.

    I tried to make myself a deal similar to yours, but I've already cheated on myself. Can't help it, so many pretty yarns are out there.
  2. Blogger Jody posted at 5:41 AM  
    I LOVE baby knitting! I made lots of things pre-Avi and loved every second of it. Now MY knitting mojo is in the potty but I know it will find it's way back. BTW - being a grandma is THE BEST!!!! My only regret is living far from them, but at least they are closer than AZ.

Post a Comment

« Home