Sunday, January 15, 2006

Ups and downs

The last several days have been very trying. A 3 day migraine. The Princess getting in HUGE trouble for something I never thought she would pull. My mother is in the hospital for what might very well be the last time. Friday was about the worst day I've had in a very long (and what I hope will be an even longer time).

But, this weekend has been better. I spent the better part of yesterday morning taking down the Christmas crap then spent the rest of the day knitting and trying to relax. It is so relaxing for me to listen Cast On! on my iPod while I knit (ok, maybe not with 5 interruptions from the Star to give me a play-by-play of his Halo game). And I finally have something to show for my efforts.

Remember this?

Flower Basket 1


Well, I took out the border and added about 4 more sets of repeats. It just wasn't big enough for the way I wanted to wear it. I love the pattern, but I was pretty sick of knitting it. I finally finished last night, with probably 5 yards of yarn to spare.

Flower Basket Shawl 2


Quite a bit bigger. And I blocked the heck out of it. I can't wait to see how it comes off the blocking board. I highly recommend this for first-time lace knitters. I'd make it again, but no time soon.

And, the weekend did end on a very happy note. My Steelers won!! In a heart-stopping final 5 minutes, we beat the Colts!! My heart went out to Tony Dungy, though. But we won!! Proof that things do get better. Next week, the Broncos.

Posted by Heather at 3:50 PM

12 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 7:13 PM  
    Sorry about the life stuff. Tough going, but you'll get through it.

    Your shawl is beautiful! I'm working on mine now (http://static.flickr.com/43/86216513_5ceb13348b_m.jpg) but it doesn't look like much. I'm only on the second repeat on the lower pattern.
  2. Blogger Sarah posted at 6:43 AM  
    YOur shawl looks like a good size now!

    Congrats.

    I hope "life" looks up.
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:56 AM  
    The shawl is beautiful!
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 8:31 AM  
    Heather, I am so sorry about all the life junk that is going on. I'll be thinking of you. Your shawl is lovely and looks like agreat size for wrapping up in.
  5. Blogger Mel posted at 8:53 AM  
    I'm sorry for all the life stress stuff. I hope it all works itself out. The shawl looks beautiful!
  6. Blogger Jennifer posted at 9:33 AM  
    Your shawl is gorgeous!

    I'm sending you peaceful vibes.
  7. Blogger Tempe Yarn posted at 10:16 AM  
    What a beautiful shawl! I wish you happier days ahead and the strength to deal with anything that comes your way.
  8. Blogger Jen posted at 2:01 PM  
    that is inspiring!

    serenity in a sea of insanity...peace out H!
  9. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 3:06 PM  
    Just found your blog Heather, your shawl is beautiful. That Steeler win did go a long way toward making the weekend good didn't it? Lets hope they can keep it going.
  10. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:35 PM  
    Your shawl is lovely. I'm glad to hear the pattern was well written, I'm working on a Leaf Lace shawl at the moment (two of them, actually) and am loving the relatively simple repeat and gorgeous results.
    Only 5 yards of yarn left... isn't that cutting it a little close?

    I'm terribly sorry to hear about your mom and the other life stuff. Sending you much hope that things get better soon.
    -SP
  11. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 11:32 AM  
    What a gorgeous shawl! Isn't lace knitting magic?
  12. Blogger Jody posted at 5:38 PM  
    Your shawl is just beautiful. I know you will get a great feeling when you wear it. So sorry things in your life aren't so beautiful right now. Just keep it one day at a time...and keep those knitting needles nearby!

Post a Comment

« Home