Monday, January 02, 2006

Home sweet home

What an amazing vacation we had! We all fell in love with San Diego. It is so beautiful and there is so much to do! They have an amazing transit system, so we took their Metro all over town. We got in on Thursday and were pretty wiped out from the 6 hour drive. After a brief nap, we had to hit the beach. We found this beautiful place called Sunset Cliffs where we watched crazy surfer dudes catching some waves before sunset.

cliffs

The Princess and I were dying to get our hands in the water, so we drove a little further up the coast until we found a public beach. Where I could really feel the water. I was standing with my feet just barely at the edge of the surf, looking at my feet and a big wave came in up to my jeans-clad knees!! I started screaming and running back to the shoreline (that water was freaking cold!) where I proceeded to drop my phone in the water that I forgot was in my pocket. Needless to say the first thing on the agenda when I came back into town was to get a new phone. Saltwater + cell phone = dead phone. Enough said.

The Princess loved the beach and she was just so very happy to stand there and let the water rush over her toes. I got lots of hugs, lots of "I love you Mommy" and one of the happiest days in a long time.

beach


The Star was a tad bored at the beach, since there is no Xbox or iPods there.

Friday we took off early to go to look at an old historic hotel, the Del Coronado on Coronado Island. It is so beauiful and HUGE! They have done an amazing job restoring her.

coronado


Then, it was off to shop in the Gaslamp Quarter. Where clothes were bought and feet were sore. After that, we went to the Maritime Museum where we got to board the HMS Surprise (the ship in Master and Commander), the Star of India and Brian and the Star went inside a Russian submarine (I'm claustrophobic, no freaking way was I getting in there).

sub


Then we went on a tour of the bay on the oldest Pilot ship in the country.

tour


Afterward we went out for a really nice dinner and did a little more shopping. It was an exhausting, but great day.

Saturday, our last day in town, we decided to take the Metro down to Tijuana for some shopping and Mexican food eating. The weather was a little rainy, but that didn't stop us from getting some great bargains on knock-off sunglasses and purses, clothes, pottery and stained glass. No pictures because I didn't feel comfortable pulling my expensive digital camera out of my bag. Tijuana can be a little scary. After a great meal (yes, you can eat the food there and drink bottled water), it was back to the hotel for a quiet New Year's Eve celebration. Complete with Brian falling asleep at 12:02. LOL

We are back home again, but we had such a great time. The kids had fun, were fun to be around (ok, most of the time!) and I'd love to go back there again.

kids


Happy New Year everyone!!

Posted by Heather at 1:28 PM

8 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:39 PM  
    Happy New Year to you! So glad you had a great vacation. I love visiting the ocean. I have never been to the Del Coronado hotel but always think about that movie with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour when I see pictures of it - 'Somewhere in Time', I think.
  2. Blogger Creative Genius? posted at 10:46 PM  
    all that time and not ONE yarn store to visit..... have you lost your edge!?! Glad you had fun-- your kids are so beautiful!!!
  3. Blogger Jennifer posted at 7:55 AM  
    Wow! You had some great weather! We were in Carlsbad, up the coast about 30 miles, and it rained on Saturday. We were there for a wedding, so it was a bit damp. Sunday was nicer, but no where near as nice as where you were.
  4. Blogger African Kelli posted at 10:00 AM  
    Aw. So nice! I am glad you had such a nice time. Your photos are great!
  5. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 2:36 PM  
    Happy New Year Heather! Your vacaion looks awesome - I glad you had a great time. There's an old saying: When momma's happy, everybody's happy. It really SHOULD be: When the KIDS are happy, everyone's happy - LOL!
  6. Blogger Lulu posted at 5:23 PM  
    glad you had a nice time in San Diego..
    happy new year
  7. Blogger Michellefinaz posted at 10:03 PM  
    Happy new year!! Awesome pictures, glad you all had a great time.
  8. Blogger Jody posted at 6:39 AM  
    San Diego sounds awesome. One day I'll visit family I have there. Glad you had fun. By the way...GREAT HAT, Brian! You have excellent taste in teams!

Post a Comment

« Home