Wednesday, November 02, 2005

In disbelief

I am so livid tonight, I may spontaneously combust.

Tonight, as Brian and I were getting into the car, we were met on the driveway by a police officer who had just left a notice on the door. Being the paranoid person I am, I wondered what I had done. Turns out that our friendly officer was passing out Level 3 notices for a registered sex offender. I didn't even know there was a rating system for notifications. There is. And level 3 is as bad as it gets.

A quick mapquest search showed that, while he doesn't live in my neighborhood, he lives way too damn close to my daughters friends and well, frankly, too close to anyone. He has been convicted twice.

When speaking with the officer I asked what we could do. His answer? Nothing. Oh, watch our children and be aware. Mr. Sex Offender has every right to live wherever he wants as long as he registers. Oh yea, that will help his next door neighbor sleep at night.

Seriously, what the hell am I supposed to do here? What about the guys we DON'T know about? And what about his neighbor? Could you freaking imagine living with the knowledge that he lives right next door? Think I'd leave my kid home alone? Think Brian would want me home alone? Walking through the park alone?

I am growing so very tired of this very screwed up world we live in when people like this seem to have more rights than I do.

Posted by Heather at 8:17 PM

3 Comments

  1. Blogger Tori posted at 1:15 AM  
    Oh my goodness! I don't know what I'd do. I'd sure be watching this person like a hawk! It does seem like the rights of these types of criminals are given a much higher regard than our children and their safety.
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 7:53 AM  
    It's a difficult issue. I agree that I don't want one of these people living near me, but where are they going to live? They have to live near someone. The other alternative is to relegate them to living in groups (like they do in downtown Phoenix), and that is DEFINITELY not good.
  3. Blogger Soulknitting posted at 12:07 PM  
    Very, very scary!!

Post a Comment

« Home