Friday, August 12, 2005

Crying in my mohair

Well, it was bound to happen. With no stitch counts to check my work, I screwed it all up. I'd show you a picture of what it looks like, but that would be pretty much consist of taking a picture of a skein of yarn and well, you know what that looks like. So, last night I figured out all the stitch counts of the next 50 rows. Hey, I told you guys I was a freak. But, in doing that I learned where stitch markers could go so that won't screw it up again. And I can obsessively count to my hearts delight.

Instead of bitching and complaining twiddling my thumbs for the rest of the night, I finally believe I have mastered socks on circulars. Illanna lent me her book and I've been futzing around with it for months. Please allow me to give you a HUGE hint. When Cat says don't waste your time with anything but Addi Turbos, she was not kidding. I tried my trusty Susan Bates and the wench let me down. The tiny stitches hung up on the join every freaking time I moved them across. So, I hauled it out to Fiber Factory last night and dropped $25 for my newfound love. Wow...they are the crack of needles, let me tell you. The joins could make a girl cry. The cord is beautiful (no more bowls of hot water) and they fit in my hands perfectly. I still believe that there is a needle (ghetto or not, huh Sarah?) for every project and it doesn't matter what they cost. I love my Clover bamboo needles and my Boye 8 from Sarah. But for socks...oh wow. Think I can sell off the 2 cats that kept me up most of the week to buy a complete set of Addis?

Posted by Heather at 8:16 AM

7 Comments

  1. Blogger Sarah posted at 1:21 PM  
    Hey, whatever works for you....I might have to break down and a pair just to see what all the fuss is about!

    I still love my ghetto needles!!!!! Some have been my friends since I bought them in the late 1980's at Kmart!
  2. Blogger illanna posted at 4:06 PM  
    I bought a pair of addis at Fiber Factory last night too! We must have just missed eachother!

    Did you see the part in the Cat Bordhi book where she says to eat beans for lunch for a week so that you can afford addi turbos? What a hoot! It's a good idea, though :)

    I'm going to e-mail you- I have a question to ask you.

    Illanna
  3. Blogger Soulknitting posted at 12:31 PM  
    I'm a stitch-counting fool too. I don't think I can knit without counting the stitches of every damn row. I Excel Chart everything. Sad eh? But especially with lace. LOVE AT's. Wendy at Wendyknits.net has been discussing needles at length. And do try to catch up with missdoxie about crazy pets. 95* and too hot after 75* for WEEKS, WEEKS I tell you in WA. I'm backkkkkkk......
  4. Blogger Michellefinaz posted at 2:29 PM  
    I can't wait to see these socks and the book. I haven't attempted socks yet, so maybe I should check this book out first.
  5. Blogger emy posted at 10:18 PM  
    Clover needles would do just as well, and less slippery & dangerous than Addis.
  6. Blogger Creative Genius? posted at 2:52 PM  
    I told you - Addi's rock!!!
  7. Blogger Creative Genius? posted at 2:52 PM  
    I WILL get a full set someday - of Addi's that is

Post a Comment

« Home