Friday, April 15, 2005

Being a mom is hard

Sometimes I read my friend's blogs or talk to my friends that have little kids and wish to have those days back. Teenagers are so hard. I seem to annoy my daughter by breathing. I ruined her life over the winter because I wouldn't let her wear flip-flops when it was 29 degrees out. Her mood swings could give you whiplash. My son has had me crying every day this week. He is going through a hard time, this first year of high school. He is realizing he isn't a kid anymore and life's responsibilities are more than just choosing which video game to play. He has been disappointed and had his dreams crushed a bit. It has been a hard year and he isn't handling it well these days. Watching has been gut-wrenching. I wish he were a little boy again so I could let him crawl in my lap...so I could be the one to make everything ok. But, kids grow up and things change. And right now, that sucks.

She is 13, he is 15. I did the single mom thing for 5 years...my children are my life. Sometimes, I catch myself wondering where time has gone. Realizing that in just over 3 years, he will being leaving home to go to college. I can't bear it. How do other mom's do it? Watch their "babies" leave the nest?

My kids would hate that I'm telling anyone this, but they still want to be tucked in every night (ok, maybe not the nights when they hate me for said flip-flop incident or something similarly stupid), they still call me Mommy and cry when I've had to go out of town for too long. So, what do I do for now? I knit and crochet. Everyone who really knows me, knows I am a spaz. I cannot sit still, my brain never stops going. Knitting and crocheting soothes my soul, quiets my brain. I imagine in the next 5 years, I'll be knitting a lot. Someday, I'll look back at my projects and remember what we were going through when I made it. That bag? Knit the night he didn't make the baseball team and cried the whole way home. Those socks? Her 6th grade band concert when she sat next to the boy she was sooo in love with. That sweater? The night I wait for her to come home from her first date..or his.

Yea...being a mom is hard, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Posted by Heather at 9:09 AM

2 Comments

  1. Blogger Sarah posted at 2:41 PM  
    Ain't that the truth! I realize my daughter won't willingly kiss me as she gets out of the car at school for much longer.....sniff!
  2. Blogger Mel posted at 7:02 PM  
    I can't vouch for the Mom part, but you sure brought back memories of how tough it is being a teenager and learning to cope with disappointments. Your kids are lucky to have your support in helping them through the growing pains, even if they don't know it yet :-)

Post a Comment

« Home