Monday, January 23, 2006

2 Socks on 2 Circulars

I've received a few emails asking for tips on knitting 2 socks on 2 circulars, so here goes.

1 - Learn how to knit 1 sock on 2 circulars from Cat's book, Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles. I only wish there were more pictures in her book.

2 - Patience, patience, patience. While it isn't really hard to learn, I did really have to take my time to figure out what the heck I was doing. The first inch sucks, but then again I thought it did on dpns, too.

3 - I used Sheron's 2 Socks on 2 Circulars Class. She is great at explaining the technique.

4 - One huge tip she gives - You either change yarn or needles when at the end of a section, never both.

5 - When turning the needles, alternate clockwise and counter clockwise to help the twisting of your yarn.

6 - And probably the most important tip of all, don't even bother knitting socks on circulars without using Addis. Believe me, I tried and it sucked. If you are looking for a cheap source for Addis, jeff_wonderland on ebay has great prices and fast (and cheap) shipping (even though he is in Hong Kong). The join is perfect for all that moving around and the tips aren't so sharp you wind up with injuries (don't ask).

If I can help it, I'm never knitting socks again on dpns or one at a time. I'm so excited that when I finish the toe, I'll have a complete pair of socks.

13 days...2 hours... I need to find some yellow and black sock yarn. Preferably cotton. Any ideas?

Posted by Heather at 2:26 PM

4 Comments

  1. Blogger Jennifer posted at 8:14 PM  
    I've got that book, but I've never tried the technique. May have to soon though as my sock mania shows no sign of abating.
  2. Blogger Michellefinaz posted at 2:03 PM  
    I'm glad you've liked buying from jeff_wonderland. I just ordered some for my mom.
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 3:04 PM  
    Hi there - got here via Cece (we are in Our Tribe together) and I knit 2 socks on 2 circs all the time....I started cuff down thanks to Kat Bohdhi but found a fantastic toe up pattern on Knitpicks (and it's free)....it is great toe up cause you can try them on as you go!
  4. Blogger Knitty, Vintage and Rosy posted at 8:39 PM  
    Did you see the cotton yarn offered by Regia? Still has wool as well but a good cotton content.

    The socks look great by the way. Although I am still wrestling with the DPNs.

    BTW, DPN stands for Damn Pointy Needles.

Post a Comment

« Home