Tuesday, July 19, 2005

RAOK

Today I was accepted into the RAOK ring and the timing couldn't be more appropriate. The last month or so, I have really been upset about how we treat each other on this planet. Innocent people being killed in the bombings in London, children dying from AIDS in Africa, homes being demolished in Zimbabwe on a dictator's whim. And it isn't just these huge events that make CNN. It is the dealings with people in our everyday lives that are just as bad, although not on such a huge scale. People being rude, judgmental and well...just not nice to each other. It is sad, really. It seems the norm these days for people to be less than friendly as opposed to kind. Does the kindness of a stranger stand out more these days because it is such a rarity? What happened to accepting people for their differences instead of being judgmental because they don't agree with your opinions?

Today I was in a long line at my kid's (Ugh, I can't believe they will both be in high school this year. Weren't they just going to their first day of kindergarten?) school waiting to pick up their books and locker assignments. Since it was my second year of this, I knew to bring water and a book because I'd be in line awhile. Once you get to a certain point, they give you a list of what you will be paying for that day. Me? $76 for "activity fees", dance uniform and lockers. I knew to bring my checkbook, the lady behind me (a newbie mom to the high school disorganization)didn't. No credit cards, just check or cash. I overheard her talking to her daughter saying she had cash, but was $1 short. Would the school let her pay it later (ha! Fat chance. She would have to wait in line the next day.)? So, I offered her a dollar. I swear, I thought she would hug me. She was able to pay the fees and not have to take another morning off work.

I'm not telling you this so you think I'm wonderful (of course I am, duh! :). I'm saying this because my giving a stranger 1 stupid dollar made the difference in her day. Come to find out that our daughters will be in the same band class this year. She offered to pay me back and I refused. I just told her to pass it along.

And you know what? It didn't only make her happy, it made me happy to know I made someone happy. What a wonderful world this could be if we all could be part of an RAOK ring and spread a little kindness, understanding and love randomly. Just imagine.

Posted by Heather at 12:42 PM

4 Comments

  1. Blogger Sarah posted at 6:24 AM  
    Amazing what a $1 and a little kindness can do in the world!!!!
  2. Blogger Gina posted at 8:25 AM  
    Such a small amount of money, and it was a huge sum to this woman. Thank you for sharing the story because each of us needs to remember these things as much and as often as we can.
  3. Blogger Jody posted at 3:18 PM  
    If everyone could do a little RAOK each day, wouldn't the world be smiling?
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 4:20 PM  
    Welcome to RAOK!

Post a Comment

« Home