Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Meet Luna

I'm still trying to catch up from working more hours than I want to think about and being gone or brain dead for 10 days.

In the meantime, say hello to the newest member of our zoo family. This is Luna and she is a Desert Tortoise that we found on our driveway on the full moon. Come to find out, our neighbors have 2 and they had babies that escaped. She is just a baby hatchling and we love her! She is just so funny to watch.

Luna


I'm amazed at how much she eats and how active she is. We have to be very careful with her around the cats because they think she is dinner. She spends the daytime in the grass in the backyard protected by a special cage Brian made for her and the night in the garage in a tank. Once she is around 1, she will live in the backyard.

Alison, this story is for you. Baseball Star has been quite the, well, pain in the ass. He is challenging every single freaking thing lately and it is getting quite old. Bedtime, chores, school, rules, eating, brushing his teeth...you name it. Lately, he hasn't been getting up on time and barely makes the bus. Last year we went through the same thing and he missed it several times. So, he was told that if he missed the bus, he was walking the 2.6 miles to school. Yesterday he takes his sweet time getting up and getting ready. And misses the bus. As he was walking to school, he probably walked as slow as he possibly could without crawling. Oh, and we obviously needed a pack of gum and energy drink from the corner store for that long walk. Making him miss first period. He can't seem to understand why he is grounded. Again. His brilliant theory? "I was already late, what is the big deal if I were more late?" I think I'm going to need electric shock therapy to get through the next 3 years.

Posted by Heather at 8:36 AM

6 Comments

  1. Blogger Soulknitting posted at 9:29 AM  
    How cute is LUNA!!!! Woot!! And my Luna LOVES the new Luna too. hehehhheh. Megadiet Tortise Food. From the Vet or a local seller. No lettuce. Dandilions. I buy them by the bunches from the grocery store. Baby Torts may be different; I'm sure there is TONS of info on web. We have a local TORT group here in Vegas with a good website too. I'm so EXCITED for you!! Yes, cats and dogs will want to eat the little ones, sometimes even the big ones. YOu'll work it out I'm sure. How fun!!
  2. Blogger Mel posted at 3:39 PM  
    That tortoise it so cute! Congratulations on the new pet. And the baseball star... I hope he comes out his teenage fog (for your sanity's sake) soon :-)
  3. Blogger Sarah posted at 5:58 AM  
    Desert Tortoises are a lot of fun for my son when they are older!!! He'll come visit!

    Gotta bed them down for the winter too.

    Sorry about the Star....
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:13 PM  
    What a cute addition to the family! It looks so tiny. Hope you are having fun. Have a great weekend. Spoil ya later.
  5. Blogger Jody posted at 8:59 AM  
    Luna is a cutie. Congrats on the new addition. RE: Baseball star...I like your consequence and the resulting grounding. I wish I had been as wise when raising my kids. Never really needed it with Alison, though...she never did anything wrong (but oh, could she talk back...still does, but in a nice way!)
  6. Blogger Creative Genius? posted at 6:17 PM  
    I love it!!! That is soooo something I would have done at his age... amazing my mother is still breathing!!

    You'll survive... I promise... however get a good supply of booze, drugs, and duck tape... you'll need each and every one :-)

    I missed ya during my trip... I hope yours was good!

Post a Comment

« Home